Saturday, December 5, 2009

Mentaiko (fish roe) Pasta


Today's trip to Nijiya proved fruitful, with fresh ikura (salmon roe) and pink mentaiko, the possibilities are endless. I decided to concoct my own version of the Mentaiko Pasta found at Curry House.

Ikura for garnish
1 pack of mentaiko
2 cups of white mushrooms (sliced)
Chopped green onions for garnish
JAPANESE mayo 3 tablespoons
Alfalfa sprouts (optional)
Spaghetti

Why Japanese mayo instead of American?
Kewpie is creamier, saltier and much more addictive than its foreign counterpart, Miracle Whip. Kewpie is like my best friend, I use it in salads, sandwiches, veggie dips, you name it. Although Kewpie isn't the headliner in this pasta, but being a cohesive is just as pivotal. Without Kewpie, this dish would be a lackluster hodgepodge of ingredients.

I premixed the mentaiko and mayonaise, being careful to peel off the sac that encloses the roe.


I boiled the mushrooms with the spaghetti, being the sloth that I am. But the mushrooms should be thrown in as the spaghetti is finished cooking, or else you'll end up with a mushroom soup. Toss the spaghetti with the mentaiko mixture and garnish with green onions, ikura, and alfalfa sprouts and voilà, pairs nicely with a glass of Riesling.





No comments:

Post a Comment