Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Suppenküche

"When in Rome, do as the Romans do"
Well, when in Suppenkuche you should drink like you're in Suppenkuche, so no sparkling frou frou drinks. Beer, beer, beer!

The notion of eating german food actually came about a few days ago when I was reminiscing about beef goulash. I wanted something similar, if not exactly like the thick, yummy stew I had in Budapest. Lo and behold, I stumbled upon Suppenküche. This place is in many ways like a hofbrau in Germany, emphasizing on Bavarian cooking. There were long wooden tables shared by strangers and drunkards knocking glasses. The noise level was definitely not for a first date, 120 decibels?! We did end up sharing tables with a few others. If you're phobic of eating with strangers, I definitely wouldn't recommend this place.

                                                  Need I say more?
                  


Soup of the day: Mushroom Soup



Unfortunately, they did not have goulash as their special that day. But we did get to order the Jägerschnitzel (Pork or Veal Cutlets in Mushroom Gravy)with Spaetzle. The veal was tender but the spaetzle tasted a bit different from the ones I had in Munich. I don't remember it being fried. I think they must have "Americanized" the spaetzle.

I wanted to try the Potato Cakes and the bratwurst but the beer left my gut no option but to hail for dessert. When in Germany, eat apple strudel.
This was no American version. This was THE strudel I had in Germany.
While dousing bites of crispy strudel in ice cream, I had a fleeting image of Landa in Inglorius Bastards, interrogating Shosanna. That scene was the most memorable in the movie, filmed with such detail and intensity.

The meal was a decadent one. It left me with unbuttoned jeans.
I wondered to myself as I walked out..
Didn't I dread the bratwursts, schnitzel, and strudels that one summer in Germany?
Didn't I complain about it to my roormmates everyday?
I swore I would never stuff another bratwurst into my mouth again.
Little did I know, I'de be eating those words.
Prost!

7.5/10  ( 0.5 deduction for no goulash)
http://suppenkuche.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment